Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How time flies...

It seems like only yesterday when I was so anxious to get the garden started.  As we had to wait for funds to be made available we got some things in the ground a little late.  Now, I'm looking toward the garden change-out which will take place here at Hope House on August 14th. We've organized a garden club among the residents and they will wield - not rake and hoe, but roller and brush - all to paint our lovely new greenhouse shed.  At the same time, the Citizens of Georgia Power, a wonderful volunteer group, will help in getting the garden ready for fall.

Now I confess, it doesn't feel anything like fall around here: temps are in the upper 90s-100 degree range, humidity is high, the sun is brutal.  Still, the garden needs work.  We've discovered that just one to two beds in height is enough for what we grow.  As an experiment we had two beds that were about waist-high.  We'll break those down and the benefit will be more, if lower, beds.  I have to talk with my garden experts about what I can plant now.  I know what the charts say but it is so hot it may be worth waiting a couple of weeks to plant the cooler weather plants. I just don't know.

This is our latest crop.  I planted a white-skinned cucumber that is mild in taste and gives large fruit.  We all sampled it today in the office and then I gave a large bag to the ladies.  Must go find some good cucumber recipes for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment